TRAINING MISSIONS/DEFCON 5:
1. Chapter 17/19 Guided Readings - Total possible points for this exercise - 100 pts
2. “War Games” Movie Guide - Total possible points for this exercise - 100 pts
3. “Battleship” Classroom Activity - Total possible points for this exercise - 100 pts
(If you only complete these training missions (DEFCON 5), your highest possible grade for the project is a D).
DEFCON LEVEL 4: Total possible points to earn in this level - 200 pts
3. Profile Sheet: Choose any country from the list of non-aligned countries (below). Once chosen, complete a profile Research your country using the library databases listed on Mr. Kimball’s project page to answer the following questions:
~ How did the Cold War affect your country? -OR- How did your country react/respond to the Cold War
(Did it tend to be friendly toward one side over the other? Play both sides off of each other? etc)
~ How did your country participate or utilize the United Nations during the Cold War?
~ What multinational organizations did your country belong to during the Cold War?
4. Term I.D. Triad: After collecting “intelligence” (reading textbook sections 17.1, 17.3, 17.4, 17.5, 19.3, and 19.4) you will complete “I.D’s” for 3 terms that will be provided to you using the I.D. Guidelines found later in this packet.
(If you only do DEFCON 5 and 4, your highest possible grade for the project is a C).
Non-Aligned Country List
Ethiopia Sudan Austria Finland Sweden Switzerland
Yugoslavia India Bangladesh Indonesia Jordan Saudi Arabia
DEFCON LEVEL 3: Total possible points to earn in this level - 200 pts
5. Train Recruits: Help the mission commander (Mr. Kimball) train recruits by helping him teach the three I.D.’s you completed in DEFCON 4. In addition to sharing your I.D.’s with the class google document and providing them out loud in class, you must share the following during your “lesson”:
~ 5 additional facts about the term that was not found in the textbook (using the library databases listed on Mr. Kimball’s project page).
~ Present a Primary Source/Artifact as proof of your terms existence: (EX: an object, a picture, a primary document (newspaper article), speech, or SHORT video clip)
(If do DEFCON 5, 4, and 3 your highest possible grade for the project is a B - if you leave out one of the DEFCON Levels grade can only be a C).
DEFCON LEVEL 2: Total possible points to earn in this level - 200 pts
6. Mission Summary Report: A product that uses all the information you gathered (including your three I.D. terms) to answer the following questions:
~ What made the United States (U.S.) and the Soviet Union (U.S.S.R.) Superpowers (including how they became Superpowers)?
~ What impact did the competition for global dominance have on the U.S., the U.S.S.R, and (if relevant) other countries/non-aligned countries (using your three I.D. terms as examples)?
You can choose one of these three options to present your understanding of these questions:
An Essay (at least 2 pages, double spaced, size - 12, Times New Roman font, 1 in margins)
A Powerpoint presentation
A Comic or Animation sequence (with written script)
(If you do DEFCON 5, 4, 3 and 2 your highest possible grade for the project is a A - (90%) - if you leave out one of the DEFCON Levels grade can only be a B, two DEFCON Levels can only be a C).
DEFCON LEVEL 1: Total possible points to earn in this level - 100 pts
7. Assessment: I.D. Test from information shared in the I.D. packet. ALL WILL DO THIS
(Earning a perfect score on this Assessment will earn you the highest possible point total/grade for this project/Unit - 1000 pts (100% - A+) - Any I.D. points not
earned will reduce your total unit grade.
~ All information gathered in the course of these “missions” must be sited correctly using Noodletools (Mrs. McNally will be in on the grading for this). This applies to your profile sheet, additional facts, essays, powerpoints, or comics.
~ These “missions” will be assigned one at a time throughout as I/we teach the unit so everyone has the chance to earn a maximum score, BUT, YOU CANNOT MOVE ON UNTIL YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FINISHED EACH
~ All necessary information and instructions for completing this project can be found both here within this packet and on my Taskstream project page (Thus the Webquest title). From there you can link to the online textbook, library databases, shared documents, and resources. In this way you have a choice of completing all of this online, or offline utilizing the packet and products you hand in to me.
~ While I encourage you to help each other research and gather information this is an INDIVIDUAL project!
Good Luck and BE CAREFUL! Spying can be dangerous ; )