The mission of the Indiana University Southeast Honors Program (IUSHP) is to serve the entire Indiana University Southeast community, to give Honors students the strongest possible academic experience, to promote responsibility for their own learning, to encourage a concern for other people, and to offer students the resources to become active contributors to society. Furthermore, the IUSHP cultivates academic excellence and the ability to be intellectually self-reliant and to work effectively with others.
1. Exhibit cross-discipline-based higher order thinking skills: Honors students will exhibit cross-discipline-based higher order thinking skills, the ability to select and organize credible evidence to support converging arguments, and the ability to solve academic problems using strategies appropriate to the task at hand.
2. Create and construct written works in various acadmic modes: Honors students will create and construct written works in various academic modes in order to communicate clearly, knowledgeable, and effectively.
3. Develop advanced and effective speaking skills: Honors students will develop speaking skills in order to communicate clearly, knowledgeably and effectively, and to express ideas and concepts in multiple formats.
4. Conceive, plan, and execute a high-quality research, creative, or applied capstone project: Honors students will conceive, plan, and execute a high-quality research, creative, or applied capstone project in the appropriate disciplinary or multi-disciplinary context.
5. Demonstrate the ability to acquire, analyze, evaluate, and disseminate information: Honors students will be able to acquire, analyze, evaluate, and disseminate information and will use this information ethically.
6. Service Learning: Honors students will demonstrate the qualities of Civic Engagement and Teamwork, as defined by the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) in order to complete a project benefitting the campus and/or broader community.